What is Kenya COC Certification?
A Kenya COC (Certificate of Conformity) certification can be defined as a required document that is needed for customs export clearance to Kenya.
The Kenya COC certificate reveals that the goods that are being exported have comply and adhere to all the vital technical rules and local, national or international standards of the importing country. This will assist in protecting the health and also ensuring the safety of citizens of Kenya from substandard or artificial imported goods and also give them the certainty they require in their local market. This Kenya COC certification is a compulsory document that is needed for Customs clearance:
In accordance with a publication of a resolution of the Governor of Central Bank of Kenya in April 16, 2016, all goods and all services imported into Kenya will need a Kenya COC certificate.
This brand new resolution controls the utilization of foreign exchange for revealing letters of credit (L/C). With an immediate effect, all goods imported to Kenya have to show a Kenya COC certificate issued by the international conformity company, so as to be financed through a documentary letter of credit from a commercial banking institution.
Kenya COC Certification process
The resolution consists of a new process requirement for the issuance of letter of credit by commercial banks. The Kenya COC certificate process together with obtaining a letter of credit include:
• Payment by a way of collection against documents for the purposes of goods importation to private and public sectors through all commercial banks in Kenya, is stopped temporarily. All procedures of goods and services importation from abroad will be funded by documentary letter of credit to be opened for this reason, under the present effective rules
• Every commercial banks functioning in the field for opening letter of credit for the main purpose of importing goods from abroad are expected to get a Kenya COC certificate issued by an international conformity company of the imported goods as an essential part of the standard process for opening a letter of credit.
• Importers and exporters of any regulated product to Kenya could contact Chamber International to get more information on the programmed and apply for COC for the purpose of exporting goods.
Benefits of Kenya COC Certification
Below are some of the benefits associated with obtaining a Kenya COC certificate:
1. It helps you avoid embarrassment from customs officials – Do you hate being humiliated and questioned by customs officials? Then you need to make sure you have obtained Kenya COC certification before exporting your goods. By possessing a valid Kenya COC certification, you will be avoiding all sort of embarrassments from custom officials.
2. It ensures your goods are exported in accordance to the law – Possessing a Kenya COC certification is an assurance that your goods exporting activities is in accordance with the law in Kenya, thus you can be sure that your exportation will not be interrupted or cancelled half way.
3. It aids in easy goods exportation – By obtaining a Kenya COC certificate, you can be sure that all your goods and services exportation will be prompt and easy without any kind of stress, fatigue or drawback. Kenya COC certification serves as an easy pathway for all exporters.